FIRST WEEKLY REPORT OF TEACHING PRACTICE PHASE I

 THIRD SEMESTER FIRST WEEKLY REPORT OF TEACHING PRACTICE

15th July 2025 - Tuesday

        #First Day of Teaching Practice Phase I


On my first day as an English teacher trainee, I, Sandra I Sam, along with five other teacher trainees from KUCTE Nedumangadu; namely Nikhila S U, Arunima B S( Social Science) Jinsa L, Aadithya H R ( Hindi) , Anupama S ( Natural Science), reached Paruthipally School, filled with a mix of excitement and nervousness. We arrived at the school by 9:30 AM and completed the formalities by signing the attendance register.



Soon after, I was assigned to Class 8C, where I had my first real interaction with the students. We began by introducing ourselves, and it was heartwarming to see the students respond with curiosity and friendliness. It felt like the start of a meaningful journey where we could learn from each other.

In the afternoon at 12:45 PM, we took part in the school’s mid-day meal programme by helping distribute meals to the students. This experience gave me a sense of responsibility and made me realise the importance of such welfare programmes in schools.

Later, we joined an NSS exhibition organised in the school premises by VHSE students. It was a workshop and exhibition featuring creative displays of pictures, shells, and other interesting items. It was inspiring to see how students contributed their creativity and talent to such activities, and we got an opportunity to support and participate in the programme.


Towards the end of the day, we were given specific duties to manage the dispersal of students. We supervised the lower primary students who left at 3:30 PM, followed by the upper primary and secondary students who left at 4:00 PM. After ensuring everything was in order, we concluded our day and left the school campus by 4:15 PM after signing the attendance register.

🌟Reflections on the First Day

My first day at Paruthipally School was a memorable and enriching experience. Stepping into a classroom as a teacher trainee felt different from being a student—it was both a learning opportunity and a responsibility. The interactions with students, participation in school activities, and understanding the school routine helped me feel more confident about my future role as a teacher. It was a day full of new experiences that motivated me to look forward to the coming days with eagerness and enthusiasm.

                   16th July 2025 - Wednesday

        #Second Day of Teaching Practice Phase I

I reached the school at 9:20 am and signed the attendance register by 9:40 am. During the day, I actively took part in the mid-day meal programme by distributing food to students at 12:45 pm.

My teaching session was scheduled from 3:10 pm to 3:50 pm in class 8 C, where I taught the first stanza of the poem “Hope is the thing with Feathers”. The majority of students were attentive, although a few were slightly inattentive, but the disturbances were manageable and did not disrupt the flow of the class. Overall, the class was conducted smoothly and successfully.

The teaching aids used in the classroom:

Blackboard 

Couesebook

ICT

Video-
https://youtu.be/HIa2Js7cymY?si=k3KjFoEoALgilVos

Ppt - https://www.canva.com/design/DAGs06zuXgc/W-cRSz9eDAzLSzunDBm5eA/edit

Activity Cards



After completing my teaching duties, I signed the office register at 4:10 pm and left the school at 4:15 pm to return home.

🌟Reflections on the second Day

The second day of my teaching practice was engaging and productive. I actively participated in school routines, including the mid-day meal distribution, which helped me connect with students. In class 8 C, I taught the first stanza of “Hope is the thing with Feathers”. Most students were attentive, with only minor distractions, and the class went smoothly. The experience improved my confidence in classroom management and highlighted the importance of student engagement. Overall, it was a rewarding day that supported my growth as a teacher.

                 17th July 2025 - Thursday

   # Third Day of Teaching Practice – Phase I 

On the third day of my teaching practice, I reached Paruthipally School at 9: 10 am and signed the attendance register by 9:35 am.

On this day of my teaching practice, I taught the second stanza of the poem “Hope is the Thing with Feathers” to Class 8C during the third period.I began with a video activity to introduce the theme of hope, followed by detailed reading, vocabulary explanation, and introduction of the literary device anaphora. Students also identified rhyming words and the rhyme scheme through interactive discussion. Regular questioning and comprehension checks ensured active participation and understanding. I concluded the class by summarizing key points and explaining the assignment clearly.

Teaching aids used:

Couesebook

Blackboard

ICT

https://www.canva.com/design/DAGta8sJv88/HGWvYor6cXmykbmt7bFdJQ/edit

Activity Cards



During the day, I actively took part in the mid-day meal programme, helping to distribute meals to the students at 12:45 pm. This allowed me to interact more closely with the students outside the classroom setting.

The extra curricular activities like playing badminton, martial arts classess like kalari were arranged in the school to enhance the  physical fitness and concentration of the students.  At 3:30 pm: Duty to send Upper Primary (UP) students in lines and at 4:00 pm: Duty to send High School (HS) students in lines were performed by us.

I signed the office register at 4:10 pm and left the school by 4:15 pm.

🌟Reflections  on the third day

The third day was productive and engaging. Teaching the second stanza of the poem helped me gain confidence in explaining literary devices and managing classroom discussions. Activities like the mid-day meal programme and sports sessions gave me a chance to interact with students beyond academics. The experience also taught me the value of maintaining order during dispersal duties. Overall, it was a rewarding day that improved both my teaching and classroom management skills.

18th July 2025 - Friday

   # Fourth Day of Teaching Practice – Phase I

I reached the school at 9:06 am and signed the attendance register by 9:25 am. During the day, I  took part in the mid-day meal programme by distributing food to students at 12:30 pm.

My teaching session was scheduled from 1:30 pm to 2:15 pm in class 8 C, where I taught the third stanza of the poem “Hope is the Thing with Feathers” during the fifth period. The lesson was structured with multiple activities to keep students actively involved.

I began the class with an entry activity, showing images of a cold land and a stormy sea. I asked students to imagine how they would feel if they were in such challenging places, which helped spark curiosity and prepared them to connect personally with the poem’s central idea.

In the link talk, I helped students relate their personal feelings to the poem. I then played an audio recording of the stanza and followed it with a model reading, emphasizing rhythm, tone, and correct pronunciation. After that, students did silent reading and underlined difficult words.

In the vocabulary section, I used the blackboard to write down meanings after eliciting them from students. I explained words using examples, pictures, and sentences, and the students responded positively, writing down the meanings carefully. I proceeded with a detailed explanation of the third stanza, where I also introduced the phrase “Pandora’s Box” to enrich their understanding.

In the discourse construction activity, I conducted a fill-in-the-blanks exercise using words from the stanza. Students participated enthusiastically and completed the activity with minimal errors. I concluded the class by summarizing the key ideas from the stanza, emphasizing how hope sings within the soul and stays with us even during hardships. I also used this opportunity to reinforce figures of speech and the main theme.

The class ended with an assignment, where students were asked to make sentences with the words “extremely” and “crumb.”

Teaching aids used in the classroom:

Blackboard

Coursebook

ICT

PPT + video 

https://www.canva.com/design/DAGtiWVNo48/eeiW5yRgsBJrDUneNzd88g/edit

Activity Cards


Chart


At 3:30 pm: Duty to send Upper Primary (UP) students in lines and at 4:00 pm: Duty to send High School (HS) students in lines were performed by us ( 6 teacher trainees). After completing my teaching duties, I signed the office register at 4:10 pm and left the school at 4:15 pm to return home.

🌟Reflections on the Fourth Day

The fourth day of my teaching practice was interactive and well-organized. Students were actively engaged throughout the session. The use of visual aids, discussions, and reading activities helped maintain their interest and made the lesson more effective. Students responded well during vocabulary explanation and discourse activities, and I felt more confident in handling the class smoothly.

The use of feedback and scaffolded questioning improved student interaction and comprehension. The assignment reinforced learning effectively and strengthened my teaching approach. Overall, it was a productive day that contributed positively to my growth as a teacher.


Comments

Popular Posts