THIRD WEEKLY REPORT OF TEACHING PRACTICE PHASE I
THIRD SEMESTER THIRD WEEKLY REPORT OF TEACHING PRACTICE
28th July 2025 - Monday
#Ninth Day of Teaching Practice Phase I
I reached the Paruthipally school at 9:36 a.m. and signed the attendance register.
On the ninth day of my teaching practice phase, I conducted a lesson based on the humorous prose piece "A Prescription for Life" by Jerome K. Jerome. The objective of the lesson was to help students appreciate humour in literature, identify exaggeration and reflect on irrational fears.
The session began with an informal interaction to establish rapport, which helped set a relaxed tone for the lesson. The entry activity involved recalling the previous lesson. During the reading segment, I read the fifth, sixth, and seventh paragraphs aloud while the students listened attentively. They enjoyed the narrator’s exaggerated reaction to reading medical literature. One of the strong points of the session was the vocabulary-building segment, where I provided definitions and examples for challenging words.
Using a scaffolded approach, I explained the passage sentence by sentence. Students then participated in loud reading, one by one, focusing on proper pronunciation and intonation. I corrected minor pronunciation mistakes and encouraged fluency.
This was followed by comprehension questions, which helped deepen their understanding of the text. The discourse construction activity, where students rearranged jumbled sentences, proved highly effective. It reinforced their grammar, sequencing skills, and sentence structure understanding. However, I observed that a few students struggled with pronunciation during loud reading.
The assignment asked students to reflect on the lesson, which encouraged personal reflection and connection between the literary text and real-life situations. The discussion on health awareness and related clues from the text further enriched the learning experience.
The teaching aids used in the classroom:
Blackboard
Coursebook
ICT(PPT) https://www.canva.com/design/DAGttgKJKY8/54mBJnrViWAoF5tbfdEj2Q/edit
Activity Cards ( Rearrange the jumbled sentences)
At 12:45 p.m., I helped in distributing food. We left the school at 2:05 p.m., as it closed early due to the meeting on the commissioning of the new building for higher secondary students. I signed the register at 2:20 p.m. and left the school.
🌟Reflections on the Ninth Day
The entire day was productive and fulfilling, contributing meaningfully to my growth as a teacher.
29th July 2025 - Tuesday
#Tenth Day of Teaching Practice Phase I
I reached Paruthipally school at 9:40 a.m. and signed the attendance register. It was a pleasant and productive day.
At 12:45 p.m., I participated in the Mid-day Meal Programme, engaging with students during the lunch break
This was the tenth day of my teaching practice Phase I, and I conducted an English lesson for class VIII C based on the humorous prose “A Prescription for Life” by Jerome K. Jerome.The objective was to help students appreciate humour in literature and to understand the use of exaggeration and irony. The class began with an informal interaction to build rapport . A warm-up role-play activity was conducted, where students acted as a worried patient and a doctor. This helped activate prior knowledge and set the mood for the humorous theme of the lesson. I read the selected passage aloud with clear pronunciation and expressive voice modulation, which captured the students’ attention.
Students were asked to read the passage silently and underline difficult words. We discussed the vocabulary together, encouraging them to use the words in their own sentences. I scaffolded the reading process line by line and facilitated a discussion through guided comprehension questions. Students actively participated, taking turns to respond and share their ideas.
The discourse activity titled “True or False” was conducted using activity cards. This helped reinforce their understanding while making the learning enjoyable. The session concluded with a brief review and clarification of any doubts. The work assigned was to write a short paragraph describing a visit to a doctor.
Teaching aids used:
Coursebook
Blackboard
Activity Card ( Find true or false)
ICT (PPT)
https://www.canva.com/design/DAGttk75q0w/EhDizrcs6S9HMIDWhE31dw/edit
At 4:00 p.m., the school was dismissed, and I signed the register at 4:15 p.m. I left for home.
🌟Reflections on the Tenth Day:
Today’s teaching experience was meaningful and fulfilling. The students were enthusiastic, attentive, and responsive throughout the session. They appreciated the humour in the lesson and were able to connect it with real-life situations. The interactive activities made the session enjoyable and educational. The use of humour as a tool for learning proved effective in promoting engagement and creativity. I felt more confident and connected with the class, and I look forward to building on this momentum in upcoming lessons.
30th July 2025 - Wednesday
#Eleventh Day of Teaching Practice Phase I
I reached the school at 9:15 a.m. and signed the attendance register.
Today, I handled a class for VIII C. The lesson was based on the humorous extract “A Prescription for Life” by Jerome K. Jerome. The passage, rich in irony and exaggeration, offered both educational value and humour.
I began the class with an informal interaction, followed by a recall of the previous portions. I introduced the new passage using guided questions related to hospital visits and doctor consultations. I then read aloud the selected text with proper stress and intonation. Students engaged in track reading, identified difficult vocabulary, and participated in discussions.
New words were explained with pronunciation, meaning, and examples. During scaffolded reading, I explained the use of exaggeration and irony in the text. Students actively responded to scaffolded questions and shared their thoughts. A fill-in-the-blanks activity was conducted to reinforce comprehension. The session concluded with a review and the assignment of a short dialogue writing task.
Teaching aids used in the classroom:
Coursebook
Blackboard
Activity Cards ( Fill in the Blanks)
ICT ( ppt)
https://www.canva.com/design/DAGt0kTHoJc/w7XYJbYBeXjX3ESpR882Ew/edit
At 12:45 p.m., we participated in the Mid-Day Meal distribution.
I carried out dispersal duties of Upper Primary students at 3:30 p.m and High School students at 4:00 p.m.
I signed the attendance register at 4:15 pm and left the school.
🌟 Reflections on the Eleventh Day
Today was a productive day, combining effective classroom teaching with active participation in school activities. The lesson on “A Prescription for Life” was well-received, with students showing good engagement and understanding. Duties like the Mid-Day Meal distribution, Gandhi Darshan Quiz, and dispersal gave me valuable experience beyond teaching. Overall, it was a satisfying and enriching day in my teacher training journey.
31st July 2025 - Thursday
#Twelfth Day of Teaching Practice Phase I
I reached school at 9:15 AM and signed the attendance register.
Today marked the twelfth day of my teaching practice. I handled the prose lesson A Prescription for Life, a humorous and reflective piece by Jerome K. Jerome. The session was observed by my supervising teacher, Ms. Nithya I. P. The main objective of the lesson was to help students understand how humour can be used to communicate meaningful life messages, especially those related to healthy living and adopting simple lifestyle changes.
The class began with a friendly and informal interaction to establish rapport. This was followed by an engaging entry activity where students were shown pictures of jogging, healthy food, and lifestyle choices. This helped them connect the topic with real-life situations and personal experiences.
During the reading session, I conducted both teacher and student reading. Vocabulary words were explained with examples on the blackboard. However, I realized that vocabulary exploration could have been improved—words like "result", "balanced diet", and "stuffed up" were not clearly explained. In the future, I plan to use more visual aids and real-life examples to scaffold vocabulary more effectively. To reinforce learning, I asked questions to help students recall and stress important points from the text. Most students read fairly well, though a few had minor pronunciation issues
The discourse activity involved students filling out a "Healthy vs. Unhealthy Habits" table. They were also asked to write a short diary entry imagining themselves as the narrator, encouraging reflective thinking. Students participated actively and showcased their creativity. The feedback from my supervising teacher was highly constructive. She appreciated the clearly defined objectives, effective questioning, and neat blackboard work. Time management and checking of prerequisites were also noted positively. However, she advised that vocabulary support could be improved using visual aids and more student interaction. She also suggested encouraging more student responses instead of summarizing everything myself.
Teaching aids incorporated:
Coursebook
Blackboard
Activity Cards (Filling out healthy vs unhealthy habits)
ICT (ppt)
https://www.canva.com/design/DAGt00I1adI/qh8AkOR8oOVOHAXW2Kwlhg/edit
This observation helped me realize the importance of making lessons more student-centered and interactive. I plan to include more ICT tools and student-led summaries in my upcoming sessions.
After the class, at 12:45 PM, I helped distribute food to the students. In the evening, as every Thursday, Kalari practice was conducted for UP students from 3:30 PM. We signed the register at 4:15 PM and left the school.
🌟Reflections on the Twelfth Day
Today’s experience was both insightful and enriching. Teaching A Prescription for Life allowed me to explore how humour can be used to convey meaningful life lessons. While the students were engaged and responsive, I realized the importance of improving vocabulary explanation through better scaffolding and visual aids. The constructive feedback from my supervising teacher reminded me of the need to create more student-centered lessons. Overall, it was a fulfilling day that strengthened my confidence and deepened my understanding of effective classroom practices.
1st August 2025 - Friday
#Thirteenth Day of Teaching Practice Phase I
As today was Friday, the school began at 9:30 AM. I arrived early at 8:55 AM and signed the attendance register. By 12:30 PM, we helped distribute the mid-day meal to students as part of the regular programme.
In preparation for the upcoming Annual Sports Meet on August 6th and 7th, we were given duties related to organizing the events. Our main task today was cutting chart paper and making chest numbers for the participants.
We were also assigned to specific event duties:
Arunima (Social Science) – Starting Point
Nikhila (Social Science) – Finishing Point
Anupama (Natural Science) – Throwing Events
Aadithya (Hindi) – Jumping Events
Jinsa (Hindi) – Throwing Events
Sandra I Sam (English) – Jumping Events
Classroom Teaching Experience:
Today marked the thirteenth day of my teaching practice. I conducted a lesson based on the autobiographical piece “Little Things Matter” by Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam. The primary objective of the lesson was to help students understand how small habits—such as reading newspapers—can shape one’s character and lead to success in life.
I initiated the class with an interactive link talk, asking students, "Do you read the newspaper every day?" This helped them relate the theme of the text to their personal lives and created curiosity about the content.
I read the first three paragraphs aloud, using appropriate stress and intonation. Students followed silently and attentively. During the second reading, students marked unfamiliar words, and we worked on them together on the board, using situational examples and images for better understanding.
Key paragraphs were explained using scaffolded reading strategies, and I posed comprehension questions throughout to check for understanding. The students responded actively and seemed engaged.
In the discourse construction phase, I introduced the idiomatic expression “guiding light” and related idioms. Students completed exercises like filling in the blanks using idioms in meaningful contexts. This encouraged critical thinking and improved their presentation skills when sharing answers aloud.
Teaching aids:
Coursebook
Blackboard
Activity Cards ( Use appropriate idioms to fill the blanks)
ICT ( ppt)
https://www.canva.com/design/DAGt0xSFW_8/HjiRzye1IWXOKJ5_c6oAjA/edit
Some students were shy during oral reading and initially found idioms a bit difficult to grasp. However, with guidance, they gradually participated.
The school dispersed early at 3:45 PM, and we left by 4:00 PM after signing the register.
🌟 Reflections on the Thirteenth Day
Today was a productive and fulfilling day. I successfully taught a lesson from "Little Things Matter" by Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, which helped students understand the importance of small habits. They participated actively in discussions and vocabulary activities. I also assisted with school duties like distributing the mid-day meal and preparing for the upcoming sports events. Overall, the day strengthened my teaching confidence and connection with the school community.














Comments
Post a Comment